ads

26 November 2015

JOS: Shops Destroyed as Fire raised down Gada-Biu Market (PHOTOS)


 No fewer than Hundred shops were razed in an early morning inferno which razed a section of GADA-BIU Market, Jos. Goods worth millions of naira were also lost to the fire.The incident which was attributed to a power surge, occurred at about  5:10am  when the traders are yet to come out for the days business
According to the traders, the fire service failed to respond to a distress call until the situation got out of hand.


Some of the shop owners were seen counting their losses when Frank's blog visited the scene.In spite of the presence of law enforcement agents, some scavengers were seen carting away some recovered items immediately after the fire was put out by emergency responders

An eyewitness, Austin Daniel, said he received a distress call at about  5:20am  and quickly rushed to the scene.“I was confused when I got a distress call thinking it was a small matter and I rushed to the scene with two buckets of water but it dawned on me that it was not a child’s play when I got to the scene.” he said.

A combined team of policemen from Gada-Biu Division, Nigeria Security, Civil Defense Corps and  The Nigeria Military were on ground at the time of Frank’s blog visit. Some of the traders were seen putting calls to their relatives, intimating them   about the development. One of the affected victims simply identified as  Mama Grace, who deals on Grocery, said she did not believe the inferno could spread to her shop.“I thought I was coming to sympathize with others but I was shocked to discover that my shops were among the affected shops,” she lamented.
Another victim, Mama Ada, said she lost items which monetary value she could not immediately quantify

.

1 comment: